Thursday, February 17, 2011

Are You...Sick?


As small business owners, Sweetie and I like to support other local businesses when at all possible. That was easier when we lived in Blue Ridge.  In a small town there are not as many large chains.  Our favorite hamburger joint was a local place called Sue's Sweet Shop, but the sign on the building read 'Sue's Best Burger in Town'.  That was the truth.  Yummy.  Miss it.

In Baldwin County, we have a much larger community, but we still tend to seek out local businesses to spend our hard earned dollars.  I love going to downtown Milledgeville.  It is a hip, due to the colleges, but quaint, historic area where you can park and walk from shop to shop, restaurant to restaurant, bar to bar. (OK, we
don't really frequent the bar scene here, but we read about it, thanks in no part to that football guy)

Downtown Milledgeville
I recently found a new place to get my hair cut. Located in a really neat older building on West Hancock Street, it is a cool, hip place. I am usually the oldest person when I am there, but Amanda at ExtraordiNailry Salon & Spa always makes me feel welcome and maybe not so fuddy-duddy.

I don't quite feel like a complete fuddy-duddy...yet.  I think I am probably just at fud.  I wanted to use just the first two letters, f and u, but then my fuddy-duddiness took over and I didn't want y'all to think I was a fan of the letters f and u. 
The Odd Couple, 1968
                                                                      
Those letter, f and u, are part of one of the funniest scenes in the movie The Odd Couple, starring my favorite actor of all time, Walter Matthau.  Playing Oscar Madison as only Matthau could, he yells at Felix, played by Jack Lemmon, about notes Felix had been leaving for him in the apartment.  For six weeks it seems Oscar thought Felix was ending his notes with the letters f and u, until he realized it was Felix Unger's initials... hysterical!

Imagine if you will, why my sweet and funny hair stylist stared at me in surprise when I mentioned a character on the TV show Law & Order, SUV.  I had been watching the episode on the salon's flat screen as she trimmed my hair.   Amanda and I had been discussing the episode as she worked on me.  I knew the outcome because I had seen it before.  It turned out that the mother of the brainy, but kinda geeky teenager was discovered in bed with her daughter's secret crush, a cute guy who was a really big jerk.  Amanda was shocked when I said, "that is really sick."

All right, I meant 'sick' as defined in Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, copyright 1973, sick, definition 2. spiritually or morally unsound or corrupt, c. filled with disgust or chagrin.  Not 'sick' as found in the Urban Dictionary online, sick, definition, 1. crazy, cool, insane.  So I quickly added, "and I mean that in the strictest, old fashioned way." 

She looked at me and I felt my fud level ease over into fuddy.  She gently patted my shoulder and nodded, as if she understood.  Then she handed my glasses to me, helped me out of the chair, placed my cane in my hand, and draped my crocheted shawl around my shoulders.  I wobbled out.

P.S.  There is no cane or shawl and my new hair cut ROCKS!



1 comment: