Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Abandoned Camellias

On my morning walk with Presley, I wind my way through a section I call the dark woods.  It's not really a woods, it's a densely wooded lot between two houses.  The tree shaded road is a welcome respite in hot Middle Georgia summers. 

Before I walk into the wooded area I pass this vacant lot.  Unknown vines, trees, weeds, and what have you grow over what I believe was the foundation of the former house.  There are derelict signs from a former life.  A junked car is behind this mound covered with it's own green blanket.  There is an old charcoal grill parked next to pre-fab concrete steps that must have led to a mobile home at one time.  The green grown hides litter and provides a safe haven for various wildlife.  I do not let Presley venture into the green mounds.

Years ago this was someones country home.  I wonder what happened to the family.  Did they sell their surrounding land, take the money, and move away?  It is a vacant lot, but it is green and lush with growth and not really an eye sore.  Imagine my delight on a chilly, but spring-like day last year I made an important discovery.  In what would have been the side yard, I noticed a bit of pink peeking out over a small hill of Georgia clay.  Here, in this abandoned, unloved acreage, I found these lovely camellias. 
Sheltered by towering pine trees, there are several camellia's blooming up a storm right now.  This particular one is called Pink Perfection, one of my favorites.

I clip these blooms and bring them home.  Yes, I am probably trespassing, but I feel it is a shame to waste these beautiful blooms.


 Camellias remind me of both of my grandmothers who grew magnificent specimens.  I don't have camellia's in my lake yard, but I claim these abandoned shrubs for my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment